Instructions & frequently asked questions
Click on the links below for the instructions of each type of fruiting kit and some other helpful guides
Instructions for our Ready-to-Grow kits
◾ White, Tan, Grey, Pearl, Pink, Yellow, Ulmarius, Pheonix oysters - When to harvest - CLICK HERE
◾ Turkey Tail
◾ Australian Reshi
◾ Australian Lions Mane & Australian Coral Tooth
◾ Shiitake Kits - When to harvest - CLICK HERE
◾ King Oyster
◾ Swordbelt / Pioppino - When to harvest - CLICK HERE
◾ Scaly Flamecap
Instructions for our DIY kits
Frequently Asked Questions
When can I use my kit?
- All spawn and kits are ready to use as soon as they arrive.
I'm not quite ready to use my spawn or kit, can it be stored?
- If you are not ready to fruit or use your spawn please put the bag(s) in a clean cold fridge (1-5 degrees) until you are ready. Most species are fine for 1-2 months.This will put the mushrooms to sleep.
- NOTE: Pink oysters and hot weather types need to be used immediately.
- If you have purchased your mushroom kit or spawn as a gift. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to give.
Please Note: Mushrooms are a live culture, if you don't put them in the fridge they will grow out of the box on their own.
My kit or spawn doesn't look, right?
- All mycellium / mushrooms look & grow different depending on the species. If you are unsure please contact us via email: email@example.com or Facebook Messenger: @aussiemushroomsupplies.
- If you would like to send images please Facebook messenger us a picture of the bag and a close up of the sticker on the bag. We will know straight away if it is growing as it should of if there is any contamination.
- Rest assured we know what we are sending.
The temperature is different on the bag to what it says on the website?
Where can I keep my mushroom kit?
- Keep your kit somewhere cool, (under 20 degrees) and humid with enough consistent light to read a book like a bathroom or a laundry with the door closed. (Excluding pink oysters).
- Pink Oyster mushrooms need to be used immediately and kept in an area over 18 degrees.
Do mushrooms grow in the dark?
- Mushrooms need light to grow, similar to reading light. Please do not keep in a dark cupboard as they will grow malnutritious from the lack of Vitamin D and may look like something out of a sci-fi thriller.
- The best fruiting location is somewhere humid, (above 70%), with non-direct sunlight, fresh air & cool temps within the mushrooms desired range.
- Yes, still soak. But move quickly as the block is ready to fruit.
Why is there yellow stuff/liquid in my grow kit?
- Sometimes excess moisture can build up from the mushrooms digesting the substrate, (it is also called 'mushroom wee' and is normal).
When can I harvest my mushrooms?
- They are ready before all of the spores, (seeds), have been released. This is just before the edges of the mushroom cap turn outwards then upwards. Pick all of them at once.
How many harvests will a kit produce?
- Ready to grow Mushroom Kits can harvest 5-8 flushes depending on their environment and how you look after them.
- Harvests can vary from approx. 300-800grams per harvest depending on the species.
How long will it take for my mushroom kit to fruit?
- Nameko, Enoki, Scaley flame cap 4-6 weeks
- Oyster & Lions Mane 7-21 days
- Shiitake 7-14 days
My block has dried out? What do I do?
- After 2-3 flushes your block may need re-hydrating, do this by soaking the block in cold water for 5-12 hours.
What is all of the dust dropping from my fruited block?
- These are the spores (seeds). Some people can have allergies toward spores. We suggest harvesting and consuming pre-spore release. Store them in an area that keeps you safe, (ie: bathroom, laundry or a terrarium).
The mushroom block is getting smaller each harvest? What is happening?
- The substrate block/log is the mushroom food & will break down between harvests.
How do I know my Mushroom kit isn't going to bring foreign pathogens into my home?
- All of Aussie Mushrooms kits are made in our Class-100 laboratory. We offer a 'Certificate of Sterilisation' upon request.
There are no products to list in this category.